Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Tiny Kitchen Nation

Tiny Toffee Bars
Tiny House Nation, Tiny House Hunting, Tiny House Living. Where will it all stop? I hope the shows don't ever stop. I love watching to see how one to six people will fit into, and live in, one hundred fifty square feet to five hundred square feet.
One of the most common comments when they see the kitchen: will the Thanksgiving turkey fit in the oven? That has me thinking, which is a really scary thought in itself. How about some Tiny Kitchen Nation recipes?
I'm getting with the program today, so to speak, by sharing my aunt's recipe for Tiny Toffee Bars. Her recipe calls for a 10x15 inch pan. That won't work for my tiny kitchen, so I baked them in a tiny pan, in a tiny oven. It can be done.

I start with creaming butter and adding brown sugar.

Liquid egg product, such as Egg Beaters, because I don't have fresh eggs. If I did, I wouldn't use them anyway. I would have to beat an egg, measure out 1 Tbsp, and throw the rest away. That's not economical, and it's wasteful. Eggs are a precious commodity in this day and age, based on the cost per dozen, unless you have your own chickens running around your yard.

Ok, now the dry ingredients, and mix,

press in a tiny pan (5x7), place in a tiny oven(toaster oven). I like using my toaster oven so that I don't need to heat up my tiny home with my regulation style oven. It's summer. I don't need any extra heat.

After it's baked, I sprinkle with chocolate chips,

wait until they melt(a couple of minutes), and spread with the back of the spoon.

I sprinkled mine with finely chopped pecans. Other nuts can be used, according to your taste.
So there you have it. A tiny batch of Tiny Toffee Bars, which allows you a tiny taste of goodness.
My next tiny kitchen recipe: Lemon bars. If my tiny oven bakes them properly, I'll share that recipe as well.
This batch? It's going to a get-together with my family.
Are they ever good? We'll have to wait to see what their opinions are.

Tiny Toffee Bars

1/4 C butter
1/4 C brown sugar
1 Tbsp liquid egg product
1/4 Tsp vanilla
1/2 C all-purpose flour
1/8 Tsp salt
2 Tbsp semi-sweet chocolate baking chips
2 Tsp finely chopped pecans


Preheat oven to 350° (325°for glass pan). Combine butter and brown sugar, cream until light and fluffy, add egg product and vanilla, mix well. Stir in flour and salt. Press into 5x7 inch pan, bake 18-22 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove from oven and sprinkle with semi-sweet baking chips, let sit until chips are glossy and begin to melt. Spread over bars with back of spoon. Sprinkle with nuts. Cut into bars immediately and let cool.8 bars

No comments:

Post a Comment