Saturday, August 8, 2015

Tiny Kitchen Nation

Lemon Bars

Day 2 of the Tiny Kitchen Nation. Day 1 was last Tuesday. I made Toffee Bars, in case you missed it.
They say when life hands you lemons, make lemonade. Well, I didn't exactly have any lemons, but I had the product thereof, so I came up with my version of the famous Lemon Bar, baked in a tiny pan, in my tiny oven, in my tiny kitchen.

Butter and sugar,

flour,

mix until crumbly.

Press in the pan, and bake. Oh wait, first grease the pan. I use a bit of corn oil, or canola oil, or olive oil, depending on what I have on hand, and I brush it with a pastry brush. There's nothing wrong with using cooking spray, but when the can is empty, that's one more item in the landfill that just sits there and doesn't disappear.
Ok, I'm hopping off of my soapbox now.

Now I bake it in my toaster oven. You can use a 4x8 inch bread pan, a 5x7 inch glass baking pan, or a 6x9 inch baking pan. I switch off, depending on whether I'm baking in my tiny oven, or the regular oven.

While the crust is baking, it's time to mix the lemon part. Liquid egg product (like EggBeaters) ((remember, 1/4 C egg product equals 1 egg)),

flour, sugar, lemon juice from a bottle,

and a drop or 2 of lemon extract.

Here's the tricky part. Do not overdo the extract. You won't like it. Trust me on this.

Whisk,

Pour over crust that has been baking,

bake it again. It gets nice and brown on top, which doesn't hurt it a bit.

Sprinkle with powdered sugar,
and there you have it. Another great recipe from the tiny pan that fits in the tiny oven that sits on the counter of the tiny kitchen.
Are they ever good.
Happy Saturday

Lemon Bars

1/3 C butter
8 Tsp granulated white sugar
2/3 C flour
1/3 C liquid egg product
1/2 C granulated white sugar
4 Tsp flour
3-1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 Tsp lemon extract
Powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 325°. Spray 4x8 inch glass bread pan with cooking spray, set aside. Combine butter, 8 Tsp granulated white sugar, and flour, until crumbs form. Press into bottom of baking pan. Bake 15-20 minutes, until golden. In small bowl, combine liquid egg product, 1/2 C granulated white sugar, flour, lemon juice and extract, whisk until combined. Pour over top of crust, bake additional 20 minutes. Cool on baking rack. When completely cooled, sprinkle with powdered sugar and cut into bars. 8 bars

No comments:

Post a Comment