Saturday, August 1, 2015

From the Kitchen - Outside the Nest

Grilled Pineapple Sundaes

Yes, I'm still grillin' and chillin'. This recipe will really bring the chill on after I get my grill on.
If you read my blog on Tuesday, you know that I am not perfect, because I wasn't able to produce the perfect caramel sauce for my ice cream.
I needed to step it up, come up with something different, in order to sooth my irritated ego.

This is a pineapple cutter. It is the slickest gadget, rating at the top of my variety of gadgets.

This is what I get when I ply the pineapple cutter to a fresh pineapple. Sorry, no before and after. I figure everybody knows what a fresh pineapple looks like.

This is toasted coconut. Just a side note: I found instructions from a very reliable source, that said to toast the coconut on a microwave safe plate, 30 seconds at a time, until lightly browned. Well, either my microwave is way stronger the the source's, or my microwave safe plate isn't so safe. I threw out the darkened evidence. Extra dark coconut does not smell nice. Trust me on this.
 Then I went at it 10 seconds at a time, stir, 10 seconds, stir, etc. Much better.

And we're grillin'. That's right. I put my fresh pineapple slices on the grill, and got them some tan lines. I was careful, so as not to burn the pineapple, because when I have fresh pineapple, I do not want to waste a single morsel.

Grilled pineapple, topped with vanilla ice cream, sprinkled with toasted coconut. I broke into the Pina Colada song with I scooped it up, scarfed it down, inhaled every bit of it.
Was it ever good.
Happy Saturday

Grilled Pineapple Sundaes

1/4 C shredded coconut
8 slices fresh pineapple
6 cups vanilla ice cream


Place coconut on a microwave plate. Heat on high power 10 seconds at a time, stirring after each, until coconut is lightly browned. Heat grill to medium low, place pineapple slices on grill and heat until grill marks are brown, flipping often to avoid burning. Place 2 pineapple slices on each of 4 salad plates, top with 1-1/2 C vanilla ice cream each. Sprinkle 1 Tbsp toasted coconut on top of each sundae. 4 servings



No comments:

Post a Comment