Saturday, June 27, 2015

June Dairy Month - Day 8

Strawberry Spinach Salad
with Candied Pecans
and Poppy Seed Balsamic Dressing

That's right, one more salad recipe. I've saved the best for last. Who knew that so many salads contained dairy?

I'll start with the candied pecans.

Butter and brown sugar(yup, I make my own brown sugar)

and pecans. Oh boy, these are really addicting
if you decide to sample them. I bet they would be really good on ice cream.

Spinach, strawberries, feta cheese, candied pecans, dressing. I use my basic balsamic vinaigrette dressing, and add the onion and poppy seed.

That's all there's to it. Nothing more, nothing less.
A few years ago, I would have turned up my nose at this concoction, but, no longer.
The tangy feta, a tiny bite of the vinegar, sugary sweetness of the caramelize, the nutty flavor of the pecans, and healthy greens.
I could eat this every day.
Is it ever good.
Happy cows make a happy Saturday

Strawberry Spinach Salad

1/4 C granulated sugar
1/2 Tsp salt
3 Tbsp white balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp olive or vegetable oil
1 Tsp minced dried onion
1 Tsp poppy seeds
1/2 Tsp granulated sugar
8 C torn spinach leaves
10-12 large, fresh strawberries, quartered
1/2 C crumbled feta cheese

Combine sugar, salt, vinegar, oil, onion and poppy seeds in blender. Blend until combined. Set aside and let flavors meld for about an hour.
Place spinach leaves on plates. Top with strawberries and feta cheese. Drizzle with dressing. 4 salads
Note: can also add caramelized pecans.

Caramelized Pecans
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 C pecan halves, or pieces


Melt butter in skillet over low heat, add brown sugar and pecans, cook 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly, until caramelized. Spread on waxed paper, and let cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment