Wednesday, June 24, 2015

June Dairy Month - Day 7

Layered Vegetable Salad
Yes, another salad. For me, that's what summer is all about. I'm not a fan of turning on the stove and cooking something hot.
This is my version of the familiar 7-layer salad,
except, I don't need to make a huge bowl of it, or a giant pan of it. It fits nicely in my 4x8 bread pan.

I start with fresh spinach.
This is my all-time favorite salad green, and it has way more food value that lettuce.

Shredded carrot, topped with peas,

chopped orange bell pepper,

green onion, shredded cheddar.

And yes, I do use real bacon for this recipe. It gets sprinkled right on top of the cheese. Yummy in my tummy.

Reduced fat sour cream, low-fat mayonnaise,

seasonings,

dollop it on,

spread it out, and let it chill.

It may not come out pretty, but it sure does taste good. I make a meal of this.
Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Only one more Dairy Month recipe to go.
Guess what? It's a salad. Check back on Saturday, you'll like what you see.

Layered Vegetable Salad

2 C fresh spinach, torn into bite sized pieces
3 small carrots, shredded
1/2 C frozen peas, thawed
1/2 C chopped red or orange bell pepper
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1/4 C shredded cheddar cheese
2 slices bacon, fried crisp and crumbled
1/4 C reduced-fat sour cream
2 Tbsp reduced-fat mayonnaise
1/2 Tsp dill weed
1/4 Tsp garlic powder


Place spinach in bottom of 4x8 inch glass bread pan. In the following order, top with carrots, peas, pepper, onions, cheddar cheese, and bacon. In separate bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, dill weed and garlic powder. Drop by tablespoons on top of salad and spread carefully. Refrigerate overnight. 2-3 servings 



No comments:

Post a Comment