Saturday, March 28, 2015

From the Kitchen - Outside the Nest

Pizza Waffles

It's gizmo time again. Today's lesson: Pizza crust waffles.

For this recipe, I used dried tomato flakes, and I re-hydrate them in water. I don't use chopped fresh, because they won't be cooked properly, due to the fact that the batter spends so little time cooking in the gizmo.

Measure out the milk and oil, and beat the eggs.
I forgot to photograph the eggs, but everybody knows what a beaten egg looks like anyway. I use real eggs,  not liquid egg product for this recipe.

Ok, now, dry ingredients.

Semolina flour. It looks like corn meal, it feels like corn meal. It's not corn meal.

I combine all the dry ingredients,

and then stir in the wet. Um, there's shredded Parmesan in here. So ok, I forgot to take a picture of that as well. I was really watching what I was doing. I need a photographer standing at my side taking the pictures for me, asking me what on earth it is that I'm trying to concoct.

Now the gizmo. I used this one several weeks ago when I shared my Brownie waffle recipe. Some may be wondering if I ever make plain waffles.
Nope. I can buy them in the store.

After very carefully placing the batter on the waffle maker, and baking them, mine look like this.
Ok, I got better as I went along. You'll see that in upcoming photos. No, really. I did get better.

When I got to the end, they looked like this. I was trying to make waffle bites and waffle sticks. The batter obviously didn't stay where I put it.


Now, let us commence to begin making pizzas. These are great, cuz if you have a bunch of picky people, who don't all like the same thing, they just each make their own. See, aren't these great? And note, there's only one small corner missing from this waffle.
I start with pizza sauce,

cheddar,

lotsa mozza,

turkey pepperoni. Perfect little individual pizzas.

In the oven they go. Oh boy, I can smell them.
I can't wait to burn my mouth on the hot cheese.

And there you got it. Pizza waffles. Any kind of topping can be used. I prefer the plain stuff for these. Any way you fix them, one bite at a time,
are they ever good. I bet Grandpa B never had waffles, especially pizza waffles.
Oh, and, leftover waffles freeze well. Just let them thaw a bit, create the pizza of your choice, and bake them.

One final note, remember to spray the pan that you bake the pizzas on, or you'll have the problems that I had. This stuff sticks like gorilla glue.
Happy Saturday.
Pizza Waffles

2 Tbsp dried tomato flakes
3 Tbsp water
1-1/4 C whole wheat flour
3/4 C semolina flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1-1/2 Tsp granulated sugar
1 Tsp dried Italian seasoning
1/2 Tsp salt
1/2 C shredded Parmesan
2 Eggs
1-3/4 C milk
1/4 C olive or vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 425°. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray, set aside. Combine tomato flakes and water in glass measure, heat in microwave 45 seconds. Let cool, drain excess juice, set tomatoes aside. In large mixing bowl, combine whole wheat flour, semolina flour, baking powder, sugar, Italian seasoning, salt and cheese, whisk together. In separate bowl, whisk eggs until light and fluffy, add milk and oil. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in wet ingredients. Stir just until combined. Do not overmix, or waffles will be tough. Preheat electric waffle maker and prepare according to manufacturer’s directions. Add 1/4 C batter to each side(check appliance instructions for other amounts if 1/4 C is too much or not enough). Cook until browned, remove and place on prepared pan while baking remaining batter. Top each waffle with favorite toppings, bake in preheated oven until cheese begins to brown and is melted. Makes 10-12 waffles.






No comments:

Post a Comment