Tuesday, March 24, 2015

From the Kitchen - The Empty Nest

Good For You Chocolate Chippers

Ok, so technically the season is spring, but it's just not warm enough to hang out outside, or do outside things, or find anything actually growing yet.
Which is why I'm sharing another recipe today, instead of doing something like, 'Out and About', or 'Spring has Sprung'.

This is a recipe from my Empty Nest Cookbook.
Once in awhile I have to actually bake something that is good for me, and tastes great as well.

I start by making my own brown sugar, ie: granulated sugar and molasses.

Ok, here we go. Oil, granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, liquid egg product. I use either canola oil or vegetable oil, or whatever I happen to have on hand, except the garlic olive oil. That wouldn't be so good.

Next the baking soda, salt, and flax seed meal.
I was amazed at how pillowy they got when I used baking soda from a fresh box. I didn't dare look at the date on the old box.

Then the flours,

chocolate chips(I use the minis-more chips per cookie) and the chopped almonds.

I scoop the dough with my large cookie scoop, and press the cookies flat with my fingers.

Yes, these are nice and big. I like to leave them sit overnight. I think the flavors come together better.
Any way you eat them, are they ever good.

Good for Your Chocolate Chippers
1/4 C canola oil
1/4 C granulated sugar
1/4 C brown sugar
1/4 C liquid egg substitute or 1 egg
1/2 Tsp vanilla
1/2 Tsp salt
1/2 Tsp baking soda
1/2 C all-purpose flour
1/2 C whole wheat flour
2 Tbsp flax seed meal
1/2 C chocolate baking chips
2 Tbsp chopped almonds


Preheat oven to 375°. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Mix oil, sugars, egg substitute and vanilla. In separate bowl, whisk together salt, baking soda, flours and flax seed meal. Stir into sugar mixture, mix well. Add chocolate chips and almonds. Drop dough by tablespoons onto cookie sheet, flatten slightly. Bake 8-9 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool on racks. 12-15 large cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment