Tuesday, March 31, 2015

From the Kitchen - The Empty Nest

Black Bottom Peanut Butter Cheesecakes

It doesn't get much better than this. Chocolate, peanut butter, cheesecake. I mean, who can resist?
This is a simple recipe, and makes just 6 cakes, but it can easily be increased.

I start with making crumbs from a cinnamon graham cracker, using a gizmo.

Mix in some melted butter, pat the crumbs into the cups. I use my gegaws, aka: silicone muffin cups, which makes clean up simple. You'll see that later on.

Now for the filling. I mix it all together,

until it gets nice and fluffy.

The next step is to sprinkle the chocolate chips onto the crumbs, and slide the pan in the preheated oven.

Then I spread the melted chocolate very carefully so that I don't disturb the crumbs.

Fill the cups,

lick the beaters. I wouldn't dream of wasting this tasty concoction by rinsing it down the drain. A cook always tastes the food as she prepares it.

When the cakes are baked, they puff up, but deflate quickly once they are out of the oven. Trust me, they were sticking way above the top, but by the time I got the camera and snapped the picture, they were already settling. Where is that photographer when I need one?

When they are cooled, I gently lift each one out of their pretty cup. See, not much to wash up. These silicone cups are way easier to rinse than trying to clean out the pan. Paper liners will work just as well.

Bite 1,

Bite 3,

the last bite.

Were they ever good.
The recipe follows, and can be found in my Empty Nest Cookbook, available on amazon.com.

Black Bottom Peanut Butter Cheesecakes
1/2 C cinnamon graham cracker crumbs (about 1-1/2 long crackers)
2 Tbsp melted butter or margarine
3 Tbsp mini semi-sweet chocolate baking chips
4 oz. plain fat-free cream cheese spread
3 Tbsp liquid egg substitute
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp fat-free sour cream
2 Tbsp reduced fat peanut butter
 1/2 Tsp vanilla


Preheat oven to 350°. Line 6 cup muffin pan with silicone or paper liners. Mix graham cracker crumbs and melted butter or margarine. Divide into muffin cups and press gently. Sprinkle 1 Tsp mini chocolate baking chips in each cup. In mixing bowl, beat remaining ingredients until combined and smooth. Place pan with crumbs and chocolate chips in oven for 1-3 minutes, until chocolate is melted. Carefully spread melted chocolate with back of spoon. Divide cream cheese mixture into muffin cups. Bake 15-18 minutes, until set and top starts to crack. 6 servings


No comments:

Post a Comment