Saturday, April 4, 2015

From the Kitchen - Outside the Nest

Blueberry Sauce

I like the canned fruit fillings that are available in the store, but, they are oftentimes too much for me to use up. So, I came up with this easy way of making my own.

It starts with blueberries. Imagine that. Blueberries in Blueberry Sauce.

I like to use honey in recipes in place of granulated sugar, so I'm adding a dollop of that as well.

Orange juice, right out of the orange juice container. How easy is that?

It gets heated up a bit, and then I add the thickener. That would be corn starch and water.

Also, a sprinkle of cinnamon, and a dribble of vanilla extract. That's right, cinnamon in blueberry sauce. Oh boy, that really adds something.

And there you have it. Blueberry Sauce 101. Um, make sure you don't use too much cornstarch, or you'll have rubber sauce. Believe me, I've done it.

I like to add it to my angel food loaf, another recipe for another time. Yup, I make my own angel food loaf. Easy as pie. Or something.
As you can see, I also add a tiny bit of whipped topping. It just looks big cuz it's close to the camera. Really, honestly, that's the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.
You know what Grandpa B used to say: Is it ever good.
Happy Saturday

Blueberry Sauce

1/2 C water, divided
1/4 C orange juice
1/2 C granulated sugar*
2 C fresh or frozen blueberries
1 Tbsp corn starch
1/8 Tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 Tsp vanilla extract

Combine 1/4 C water, orange juice and sugar in saucepan, stir to combine. Add blueberries, bring to gentle boil. In a small bowl, combine 1/4 C water and cornstarch. Gently stir into blueberries, being careful not to mash the berries. Simmer gently until thick, 1-3 minutes. If the sauce gets too thick, thin with a bit of water. Remove from heat and stir in cinnamon and vanilla extract. Cool, serve over angel food cake, waffles, or ice cream.

*Can use 1/4 C honey in place of sugar

2 comments: