Saturday, January 3, 2015

From the Kitchen - Outside the Nest

Cherry Vanilla Bread Pudding

It was time to clean out the refrigerator.
There were 3 lonely, mini bagels lurking about. I won't admit to how long. They were still good, a testament to the preservatives that are added to what I fondly call manufactured food. What to do, what to make. I couldn't just throw them away. But, I am my mother's daughter. She was a fan of taking stale bread and making bread pudding.
I didn't care for her recipe. This recipe has changed my mind.

So, I cut the bagels into bite size pieces and placed them in a pan.

I had a handful of dried cherries, so I threw them in.

Slivered almonds go well with the cherries.

Next, the vanilla almond milk, sugar, vanilla,

and egg. Yup, liquid egg product, but regular eggs work just fine. By the way, Eggbeaters is not a sponsor of this blog. I just happen to have that brand on hand.

Pour it over the bagels, drizzle with melted butter,

and bake. It puffs way up, but deflates as it cools.

Speaking of cool, I topped it off with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream. Yes, ice cream on bread pudding.
Take my word for it. Is it ever good, especially when it melts and trickles into all the crevasses. As a matter of fact, it was so good that I might have to go out and buy more bagels and dried cherries.
Happy Saturday.

Cherry Vanilla Bread Pudding

3 plain mini bagels (2-1/2 C)
2 Tbsp dried cherries
2 Tbsp slivered almonds
1 egg, or 1/4 C liquid egg product
3/4 C + 2 Tbsp sweetened vanilla almond milk
2 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 Tbsp melted butter

Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 4x8 inch glass baking pan with cooking spray. Cut bagels into 1/2 inch pieces, place in the pan. Add  the cherries and almonds and mix them in. Combine egg, milk and sugar, pour over bagel mixture. Gently mix and press down lightly. Drizzle with melted butter. Bake 45-50 minutes, until top is puffed and center is almost set. Let stand 15 minutes. Serve warm. Yield 3-4 servings.


No comments:

Post a Comment