Saturday, October 25, 2014

From the Kitchen - Outside the Nest

Crock Pot Turkey Breast

I hate to remind everyone, but Thanksgiving is a mere 4 weeks and 5 days away.
Canada already celebrated theirs on October 13th.

Today's recipe will get you thinking about that all important day.
And, it just takes a little time to prep, then let it cook away.

I start with the chopped vegies,

which I saute in a bit of olive oil.
 No, 3 cloves of garlic is not too much. Believe you, me, it's just right.

Then I mix the chicken broth base with water.

Meanwhile, back at the stove,
I drop in some flour, and give the vegies a powdery stir.

I add the broth mixture, the sage,

the bay leaf.

Here's what I like to use. I  can find these all year long, and when they're done cooking,
it's all meat, little throw-away.

The turkey breast comes in a nice, neat, little package, all rolled up, with no bone to pick. I place it in the crock pot,

add the vegie broth,let it cook.
Oh the aroma, the smell, the salivating while I wait for it the get done.
Once it's done cooking, I strain the gravy and heat it even more on the stove.

Then slice, serve, and commence to eating.
It's never out of season to eat some bird.
Try it, and you'll say: 
"This is the best turkey breast I ever ate. 
Oh my, how moist. 
How come I didn't know this recipe before?"
Any way you say it, is it ever good.
Happy Saturday

Crock pot Turkey Breast

1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 of a medium onion, chopped
4 mini carrots, chopped
1/2 of a rib of celery, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
8 Tsp all-purpose flour
1-1/2 Tsp chicken broth/soup base powder
1-1/2 C +2 Tbsp water
1/2 Tsp dried ground sage
1 bay leaf
1 (3-4) lb boneless, rolled turkey breast
Salt and pepper


Heat olive oil in skillet over medium -high heat. Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic and cook until onion is soft, about 8-10 minutes. Stir in flour and cook until golden, about 2 minutes. Stir in soup base, water, sage and bay leaf. Season turkey with salt and pepper, and place in crock pot with skin side up. Pour vegetable mixture over top. Cook on low 5-7 hours, until internal temperature reaches 165°. Remove breast from crock pot and cover with foil to keep warm. Remove liquid from crock pot and strain into small pan. Heat liquid over medium heat until thickened, about 15 minutes. Slice turkey and serve with gravy.

No comments:

Post a Comment