Saturday, November 1, 2014

From the Kitchen - Outside the Nest

The Best Brownies
Sometimes we just gotta have that chocolate.
And, it has to be something really ooey, gooey, rich, decadent, sinful, and every other word that describes something that tastes oh, so forbidden.
It's all my sister-in-law's fault. She made these for moving day. And gave me the recipe.
So, here goes.

I start with whisking the dry ingredients.

Then comes the good stuff. Butter, sugar, a little water,

get it melting,

then add the main ingredient.

Next comes the egg. Yes, I use real butter, and a real egg. If I'm going to indulge, I'm going to do it right.

Ah, yes, more chocolate. There's always room for more.

For myself, a half a recipe will do. It works well in my new pyrex pan.
And don't forget to lick the bowl. Or the pan. Or whatever you mix them in. Do not let one single drop of batter get away.

It bakes, it perfumes the air. I can hardly wait.

This? Well I had company while I was baking. A wayward frog escaped the pond and came to visit.
I threatened frog legs for supper.
He tip-toed away.

Back to the brownies.They sink down in the middle, but that doesn't matter. I underbaked mine a bit. Not on purpose. I was too lazy to get a toothpick out and check them. Not to fear, however.

Oh my gracious Great Aunt Agatha, these were so good I almost cried. Almost. 
So, the gist of the story is, when you need that special something, this is it. There is none better.
Are they ever good.
Happy Saturday.

The Best Brownies

1-1/4 C all-purpose flour
1/2 Tsp baking soda
1/4 Tsp salt
3/4 C granulated sugar
4 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp water
1-1/2 C chocolate chips*
1 Tsp vanilla
2 Eggs


Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 9 inch baking pan with cooking spray. In bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. Combine sugar, butter and water in saucepan. Bring just to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add 1 C chocolate chips and vanilla. Stir until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, stirring well after each addition. Stir in flour mixture and remaining morsels. Spread in pan. Bake 20-30 minutes, or until center is set. Check with toothpick for doneness. Remove from oven and let cool. Center will sink. 9 brownies.
*Mint chips can be substituted


No comments:

Post a Comment