Saturday, September 6, 2014

From the Kitchen - Outside the Nest

Tropical Fruit Ambrosia
This recipe should really be called Evolution Salad.
It's actually evolved through numerous changes.
In the beginning there was cream cheese thinned with a bit of the pineapple juice, then the fruit and coconut were added.
Then there was the 5 cup salad, including a cup of sour cream, a cup of mini marshmallows, and the fruit.
Next came the Tropical Ambrosia, found in my Empty Nest cookbook, which used non-calorie sweetener, and coconut flavoring.

Here's my latest version:

We'll start with the fruit. I like this recipe because I can use the snack-size cups.

I drain the pineapple(no need to save the juice unless you want to drink it).

I drain the mandarin oranges as well.
Right there next to the pineapple. It's ok. They get along. 

Soon they will be married in the salad.
Hmm, maybe this should be Tropical Marriage Salad.

I love this stuff. It is so thick. I find it in big containers, which allows me to make this recipe numerous times.

I place the yogurt in a bowl, add the fruit, sprinkle with coconut.

Give it a stir, and it's ready to go.
Irresistible. Flavorful. Delectable.
It makes you want to break into song.
"If you like Pina Coladas . . .".
Who can name the singer of that oldie?
Any way you call it,
is it ever good.
Happy Saturday

 Tropical Fruit Ambrosia
1 (4 ounce) snack size cup mandarin oranges, drained
1 (4 ounce) snack size cup pineapple tidbits, drained
1 C low-fat or fat-free vanilla Greek yogurt
2 Tbsp shredded coconut

Combine all the ingredients. Serve as a dessert or sweet salad. 3 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment