Saturday, August 30, 2014

From the Kitchen - Outside the Nest

Smoky Joes

Here's a great recipe to whip up before the big game.
Not that I make these before the big game.
Because I don't watch the big game.
My TV doesn't get the big game.
Or the little game. Or any game.
My TV doesn't get any sports, no matter what channel they might be on.
I have a magic tv.
Ok, so I'm not in sports. I am into eating.

I start with a mixture of ground turkey and ground beef. It doesn't have to be a mixture. It can be all of one, or all of the other, or all of neither, as in all of something else.
Depends on your taste.

I chop up some onion,

a small red bell pepper,

dump it in, and get it cooking.

These are my seasonings of choice.
A little of this, a spoon of that.

Then the tomato sauce,

and the Smoky part. I use the hickory flavor to give the mixture a nice smoky goodness.

Then I let it simmer. I taste it after about 10 minutes.
Too sweet, not enough flavor.
Simmer at least an hour, or even longer.
The onion and peppers really come through, the longer it cooks.
Hey, try it in a crockpot, even.

Serve it up on a nice bun, with a pickle or 2 on the side. I like to put a slice of cheese on the bottom.
It gets all nice and melty.

If the batch lasts long enough, it freezes real well.
This is a great recipe for putting up single or double servings. Just pop in the freezer, then pop back out when you're ready.

Another way to enjoy this: toast sliced garlic french bread on one side-under the broiler. Flip the bread over, top with some Smoky Joe, a slice of cheese, and slide it under the broiler again, until the cheese gets all melty.
Any way you make it,
is it ever good.
Happy Saturday.

Smoky Joes

1/2 pound ground turkey
1/2 pound lean ground beef
1/2 C chopped onion
1 small red bell pepper, chopped
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1/2 C hickory flavor barbeque sauce
1 Tsp dried oregano
1 Tsp ground cumin
1 Tsp chili powder
3/4 Tsp salt


Combine ground turkey and beef in a pan. Add the onion and pepper, and cook over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add the tomato sauce, barbeque sauce, oregano, cumin, chili powder and salt, mix well. Cover and simmer over low heat for at least one hour, or longer. 8 sandwiches

No comments:

Post a Comment