Saturday, August 23, 2014

From the Kitchen - Outside the Nest

Zucchini Pasta
I remember the day when we ran in terror when we heard somebody say zucchini.
Neighbors dropped off a bushel on other neighbors doorsteps in the middle of the night and ran.
The vegetables grew as big as, well, giant watermelons, in the garden.
We shredded, we sauteed, we pickled, we hid them in hot dishes.
I guarantee that today's recipe is tasty, and will have you  running to the garden, or the farmers market, to pick up some fresh produce, so you can whip up a batch.
For all you non-carb eaters, this is a must have.
It may be called pasta, but there ain't no pasta in here.

I start with making julienne strips. Which look like spaghetti. Which explains the name of the recipe.
 A mandolin works great, but a vegetable peeler will work as well.
They also have julienne peelers. I love gadgets.

Next I add some bell pepper strips and some carrot strips. 

Now for some chopped onion on top. Red, vidalia, white, yellow. Any variety will do. Then I set it aside.

I chop a fresh tomato,

pop it in the pan and saute in olive oil. I use olive oil a lot for may different recipes. If you check last week's blog for hand pies, you'll see that I even use it for pie crust. It works.
Then I add the chicken broth, laced with herbs.

Garlic. I have to have garlic. Fresh or bottled.
Either works.

Then I let it simmer until it reduces to about half.

Add the vegies, give them a toss, cover and simmer some more.

Ah, here it is. A fine swirl of tasty, delectable vegies in a tasty, delectable sauce.
I like to top the  dish with shaved Parmesan.

Leftovers? I love it. I added a sliced Italian chicken sausage. Yummy in my tummy.
It looks like pasta. It tastes like, well, more.
Any way you eat it, is it ever good.
May your neighbors bless you with the bountiful goodness of their extra produce.
No store-bought will match it.
Happy Saturday.

Zucchini Pasta 
1 small zucchini
2 small carrots
1/2 of a green bell pepper
2 Tbsp chopped onion
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 plum tomato
1 Tsp chopped garlic
1/2 C warm water
1 Tsp chicken broth and soup base
1 Tsp dried parsley
1 Tsp dried basil

Cut zucchini, carrots and green pepper into julienne strips. Add onion, set aside. Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Add chopped tomato and garlic, sauté until tomato begins to soften. Add water, chicken base, parsley and basil. Simmer until liquid reduces to about half. Add the vegetables, stir and cover. Simmer until vegetables are el dente. Serve with shaved parmesan cheese on top. 2 servings

Suggestion: Add fresh mushrooms, celery, or any other kind of favorite vegetable. Add precooked sliced sausage or chicken for a complete meal. 




No comments:

Post a Comment