Saturday, June 7, 2014

From the Kitchen - Outside the Nest

Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce
There is so much about this recipe that reminds me of my Mom. We always had rhubarb which she would turn into luscious desserts, such as, rhubarb crunch, rhubarb pie, rhubarb sauce, strawberry-rhubarb jam.
She also had a way with strawberries. There was strawberry shortcake, strawberry pie, strawberry whip on top of angel food cake, strawberry jam, and just plain strawberries with sugar.
I've combined the two main ingredients to come up with my own recipe, which prods those memories to life as I savor every bite.

I start with chopping the rhubarb,

then adding strawberries,

and sugar. There's also a bit of water in there. Not a lot, as rhubarb has it's own allotment of natural juices.

I cook it until it's nice and thick. Oh my, the aroma makes my mouth water.

I've tried it on angel food cake, which I made from scratch.

I've tried it on sponge cakes. Yes, I made them from scratch.

I've tried it on cinnamon-vanilla shortcakes, which I also made.
I enjoy every tangy, tasty bite, any which way I can, as in:
is it ever good.
Happy Saturday
Rhubarb Sauce

1/2 – 3/4 C granulated sugar
1/4 C water
2 C chopped rhubarb
1/2 C fresh or frozen strawberries*

Combine 1/2 C sugar, water, rhubarb and strawberries in small pan. Cook over medium heat 45-60 minutes, or until mixture begins to thicken. Add additional sugar if mixture is too tart. Remove from heat and cool. Serve over angel food cake, sponge cake, or shortcake biscuits. Approximately 2-1/2 cups.

*Can use raspberries in place of strawberries, or a combination of both.

No comments:

Post a Comment