Saturday, May 31, 2014

From The Kitchen - Outside The Nest

Pickled Onions
It's that time of year again.
Burgers and brats on the grill.
I'm sharing a recipe that I had posted last year.
It's a good one. Don't roll your eyes and wrinkle your nose. Just follow along, scurry to your own kitchen, and give it a try.

First I start with slicing an onion. I like to use a nice Vidalia. They're mild and sweet. I slice it as thin as I  can.

Then I sprinkle on the salt, and let them sweat.

The ingredients are nothing fancy. Vinegar, mustard, garlic, oh my.

I rinse the salt off of the onion and slide it into the simmering pickling brine.

One onion magically fills my jar.

I love the tangy onions on my burgers (last summer's photo),

as well as on a brat with grainy mustard.
Doesn't this just make your mouth water?
Is it ever good.
Happy Saturday.
Pickled Onions
1 medium Vidalia onion, peeled and sliced into 1/8 inch slices
1-1/2 Tsp salt, divided
1/3 C cider vinegar
1/4 C water
3 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 clove garlic, peeled and halved
1/2 Tsp prepared mustard
1/4 Tsp celery seed


In small bowl, toss onion with 1 Tsp. salt, set aside for one hour. Pour off water and rinse onion. In small saucepan combine remaining ingredients, include 1/2 Tsp salt, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer until sugar is dissolved. Add onion, pulling rings apart, simmer 2-3 minutes longer, until onion is heated through, stirring often. Transfer to jar with a tight fitting lid. Let cool uncovered, put on lid and store in refrigerator. Refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment