Saturday, May 24, 2014

From the Kitchen - Outside the Nest

Peanut Butter Trail Mix
It's that time of year again. School's out and road trips are in the works.
Here's a handy little recipe that is quite healthy, and a whole lot tasty.

I start with the quick oats and two kinds of nuts. I use slivered almonds and chopped cashews. Other kinds will work just as well. 

Then I measure the peanut butter and honey into a microwave-safe container and give it a whirl.

Next I add the cinnamon and vanilla.

I mix it all together,

spread it on a baking sheet, and bake it. I don't spread it too thin, because I like this on the chunky side so that I can eat it with my fingers. If it's spread too thin, it'll brown too quickly, and possibly even burn.

When it's done baking and has cooled completely, I layer mine in a container. First the oat mixture, then a sprinkle of dried fruit and some yogurt covered raisins.

I couldn't decide if I wanted white or chocolate on the raisins, so I used both.

I topped off the mixture with a few of both kinds, and called it good.
This can be carried in little snack bags or small containers, or, in my case, left in the larger container so that I can just grab a handful and munch.
Any way you look at it, it's tasty, it's healthy.
As in, is it ever good.
Happy Saturday.

Peanut Butter Trail Mix

1/2 C reduced-fat peanut butter
1/2 C honey
1 Tsp ground cinnamon
1 Tsp vanilla
4 C quick-cooking oats
1/2 C sliced almonds
1/2 C cashew pieces
1 C chopped dried fruit mix
1 C yogurt covered raisins


Preheat oven to 325°. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray. Combine peanut butter and honey in a microwave-safe bowl, heat 30 seconds.  Add cinnamon, vanilla, oats and nuts. Stir until well combined. Place on baking sheet, bake 10 minutes, remove from oven and stir, bake additional 10 minutes. Remove from oven. Stir gently once while cooling to allow mixture to stay in clumps. When completely cool, alternate layers of oat mixture, fruit and yogurt raisins in air-tight container.  Approximately 6 cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment