Saturday, May 10, 2014

From the Kitchen - Outside the Nest

Short Ribs French Dip
aka Beef Au Jus

Last week I shared my recipe for homemade dry onion soup mix. If you missed it, you can find it here:
onion soup mix
Today, I'm sharing a recipe using said mix. Let me tell you right now, this is so darn tasty, that it's hard to stop eating.
The main ingredient is boneless short ribs.



I start with onion, which I slice nice and thin, using this gadget. I love kitchen gadgets.



Next the wet ingredients get mixed with



the dry. Nothing fancy, everything so simple.



Pile the meat on top of the onions, add the mixture, turn on the gizmo, let it cook.
Since I cook in small batches, I use my small crock pot and set it on low. If you try this, remember, the smaller the vessel, the faster it cooks.
Believe me, in this little beauty, it cooks. 4-5 hours max.
When it's nice and tender and I can pull the meat into nice chunks, I remove any fat or gristle.



Next I prepare the bread. This is a french roll. I like to use these when I'm looking for a substantial sandwich. Sliced french bread works as well.



Drizzle with olive oil and toast under the broiler until golden brown. By toasting the one side only, it will firm up the bread, and keep the juices from trickling through and creating a soggy mess.
Well, ok, so my attention was elsewhere, and the roll got a little more than golden brown. I scraped off the darkest part. It still tasted good. Since I don't want my readers to make the same mistake I did, I am including the photo for your chuckling pleasure.
Pile on the meat, sprinkle with shredded cheese (slices of provolone are wonderful as well),
return to the broiler until melted.



I also like to toast slices of Pesto Parmesan bread, and top with the meat and cheese. Like I mentioned earlier, I like the meat chunky, not all shredded into threads.



Put some of the juice into a small bowl, dip the bread/meat in, chew slowly to savor the flavors.



Was it ever good.
Happy Saturday


Short Ribs French Dip

1/2 inch of a large onion, thinly sliced
1 pound boneless short ribs
1-1/4 C water
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp dry onion soup mix
1/2 Tsp minced garlic
French rolls or a loaf of French bread
Shredded mozzarella cheese, or sliced provolone

Place onions in bottom of crockpot. Top with short ribs. Combine water, soy sauce, onion soup mix and minced garlic, pour over meat. Cook 4-6 hours, or until meat is tender and can be pulled apart into chunks. Remove meat from crockpot, pull apart with 2 forks, return to crockpot.

Drizzle olive oil on inside of French rolls, or slices of French bread. Place under broiler and broil one side until golden brown. Top with meat(without juice) and cheese, return to broiler and heat until cheese is melted. Serve with remaining juice for dipping. 4 servings.


No comments:

Post a Comment