Saturday, May 3, 2014

From the Kitchen - Outside the Nest

Onion Soup Mix
I don't often prepare a recipe that calls for the dry onion soup mix, but when I need it, I never have it.
Or, if I have a package of it, it's old, it's crusty, it smells funny.
Now I make my own, and it's super simple.


I start with a tad of sugar,


then a healthy measure of dried minced onion.


Next comes the beef flavoring, which is the dry beef broth and soup base that comes in a jar.


Onion powder,


celery seed,


and finally, a sprinkle of dried minced garlic.


Stir it all together, pressing out any lumps of the beef base,


scoop it into a jar,


mark the jar.
I'm sharing a full recipe, along with a pared-down version.
This is a really easy way to prepare what's needed, and not have to buy a whole box.
Coming real soon, a recipe that uses this tasty concoction.
Is it ever good.
Stay tuned.
Happy Saturday

Onion Soup Mix

3/4 C dried minced onion   
1/3 C powdered beef broth and soup base
4 Tsp onion powder  
1 Tbsp dried minced garlic  
1/4 Tsp celery seed  
1/4 Tsp sugar  

Mix, store in container. 5 Tbsp=1.25 ounce package


1/2 Cup (4 ounce container)
3 Tbsp dried minced onion
3-1/2 Tsp powdered beef broth and soup base
1-1/2 Tsp onion powder
1/2 Tsp dried minced garlic
1/8 Tsp celery seed

1/8 Tsp granulated sugar

No comments:

Post a Comment