Saturday, December 28, 2013

From the Kitchen - Outside the Nest

NA Irish Cream
 
Here's a nice little recipe for those who want to celebrate New Year's Eve, but they don't want to imbibe. As is, they don't wish to drink alcohol.
 
That being said, I love Irish Cream. But, let's think about this for a minute.
If I walked into my local grocery store liquor department, what are my chances I'll find NA Irish Cream?
How many times will the clerk roll his or her eyes, when I so sweetly ask for it?
 
Well, I don't need to embarrass myself. I can simply pick up a few items from said store, and commence to mixing.
 
 
I start with Vanilla Almond Milk, vanilla flavoring,  instant coffee, and Cream of Coconut.
 
 
Place it all in a large measure. Brown sugar: optional. The Almond Milk and Cream of Coconut have sweetener in them. This is a matter of taste.
 
 
 
Then I take out this gizmo, my handy-dandy hand blender, and I give it a whirl. A regular blender would work just as well.  Mix until smooth, pour in a container, chill.
 
 
It always tastes better when served in a pretty glass.
So thick, so rich, so decadent. There's a slight hint of coconut, but the vanilla and coffee flavor it so well, you might just think you're drinking the real thing.
 
 
Is it ever good.
Happy Saturday, and Happy New Year.
 
NA Irish Cream
 
1 Can Coconut Cream
3/4 C Vanilla Almond Milk
1 Tbsp vanilla extract or flavoring
1 Tbsp brown sugar, optional*
1 Tsp Instant coffee (regular or decaf)
 
Combine all and blend until smooth. Store in refrigerator. 6-8 servings
*Taste before adding sugar. Add sugar according to your preference for sweetness.

 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment