Tuesday, July 14, 2015

From the Kitchen - Outside the Nest

Grilling 101 - Vegetables

This is the start of a 2 part blog. Today I'm going to talk about grilling vegetables. On Saturday I'll share the main entree that will go with the vegetables.

I start with small potatoes, and fresh Brussels sprouts.
Yummy in my tummy for sure.

I use my microwave steamer and microwave the potatoes about 2 minutes. I do poke holes in them so they don't explode. Then I steam the sprouts about 1-1/2 minutes. The idea is to get them just tender, but not done all the way through.

Then I season them, by tossing them in olive oil, onion powder, garlic powder, celery salt, and black pepper.
Thread them on skewers. Since I'm using bamboo skewers, I soak them in water for a while, so they don't burn up on the grill. The chicken in the foreground will appear in Saturday's blog. I included it as a teaser, just to get you to return. I am so sneaky.

Put them on the grill, and keep turning them every few minutes. I grilled my for about 5-7 minutes.

Enjoy. There's nothing hard about making a flavorful, healthy meal. Don't be concerned with the charred outside, it adds mucho flavor. Trust me on this.
Stop back in a couple days and check out the marinaded chicken tenders. I think you'll like them.

Grilled Vegetables

20 medium Brussels sprouts
12 small potatoes
1/4 C olive or vegetable oil
1 Tsp onion powder
1 Tsp garlic powder
1 Tsp celery salt
1 Tsp ground black pepper


In microwave, steam or cook Brussels sprouts 1-1/2 minutes, just until slightly tender. Poke several holes in potatoes with a fork, steam in microwave 2 minutes. Combine oil and seasonings, toss Brussels sprouts and potatoes in mixture. Thread 3 potatoes each on skewers, and 5 Brussels sprouts each on skewers. Grill over medium heat 5-7 minutes, turning often. 4 servings


No comments:

Post a Comment