Saturday, May 9, 2015

From the Kitchen - Outside the Nest

Old Fashioned Shortcake

This recipe is dedicated to my Mom. However, I will be adding disclaimers as I go, because I do not bake the way Mom did. 
I start with shifting the dry ingredients, including sugar. Mom didn't add sugar to her biscuits.

Then I add the vanilla yogurt.
Mom didn't bake with yogurt.

Oil. Mom used lard or shortening. I don't have either in my kitchen.

Didn't she always tell me not to play with my food?
I use my fingers to gently mix in the wet ingredients,

to resemble corn meal.

More wet ingredients (vanilla almond milk), and stir gently with a spoon. Almond Milk wasn't around when Mom was around.
Do not over mix. Trust me on this.

I cut the dough into circles, but I don't waste any extra. Again, don't overwork the dough.Trust me on this.
Mom made plain baking powder biscuits; the dough of which she patted onto a baking sheet, and then she cut them into pieces with a knife.
Bake until golden. Don't over-bake. Trust me on this.

A nice sturdy exterior, a nice flaky interior.

Top with berries and ice cream. Mom never had ice cream on hers. Just plain berries with sugar. I have vanilla bean ice cream, hence the tiny flecks in the cool creaminess, which you can't see here.

One bite after another,

was it ever good.
They're best eaten warm out of the oven.
So, gobble, gobble, right away.
Happy Saturday

Old Fashioned Shortcake

2 C all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 Tsp salt
3 Tbsp granulated sugar
2 Tbsp canola oil
2 Tbsp vanilla yogurt
2/3 C vanilla almond milk


Preheat oven to 450°. Sift flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into a bowl. Add oil and yogurt, lightly blend with fingertips until mixture resembles corn meal. Add milk and stir with wooden spoon, just into dough forms. Line baking sheet with silicone liner or parchment paper. Drop dough into 8 balls, or gently pat dough into a round and cut 8 cakes with a round biscuit cutter. Bake 10-12 minutes, until lightly browned. 8 servings










No comments:

Post a Comment