Saturday, May 2, 2015

From the Kitchen - Outside the Nest

Fried Corn

I'm always looking for a different vegetable/side dish. I mean, a person cannot eat only broccoli or Brussels Sprouts every day. Sometimes we need to mix it up.

Onion, pepper, bacon. Yes, that's real bacon. No turkey bacon for the recipe. I'm going all the way on this today.

I use a deeper skillet, and let the bacon sizzle away.

When it's browned, I drain it.
However, I do not discard the grease.
No sirree Bob. Wait, who invited Bob?

I use the bacon grease to saute the onion and the pepper.

Add a sprinkle of garlic powder. Of course I add garlic. I add garlic to a lot of stuff. Except cookies and muffins, and pie, and ice cream, and . . . 

Next comes the frozen corn. No need to thaw it ahead of time. It'll thaw quickly.

Salt and pepper to taste.

And there you have it.

It works great with a grill sausage,

or with a batch of my Dilled pan-fried fish.
Did you miss that recipe? You can find it by clicking here:
Dilled Pan-Fried Fish

Simple, easy, tasty, and little bit naughty.
Is it ever good.
Happy Saturday


Fried Corn

2 slices bacon
1/4 of a red or green bell pepper chopped
1/4 C chopped onion
1 Tsp garlic powder
1-3/4 C frozen corn
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat a deep skillet over medium heat. Chop bacon into small pieces, brown in skillet just until browned and starting to crisp. Remove bacon from skillet and drain on paper towels. Leave grease in pan, and add pepper and onion. Saute until tender, sprinkle with garlic powder. Add corn, heat through. Season with salt and pepper. 3 servings



No comments:

Post a Comment