Saturday, March 7, 2015

From the Kitchen - Outside the Nest

Chicken and Rice

Comfort food at it's finest. A main dish that includes a side dish all in one. One casserole dish for the whole meal.
I like using instant brown rice. It's healthy, a good source of fiber, overall, good for you. I've found that baking instant rice makes it fluffier that just preparing on the stove top.
So, I've come up with this tasty little dish.

I start with a few veggies: frozen peas and corn, chopped fresh carrot and celery

Next, the seasonings: garlic powder, thyme, marjoram, dried minced onion, and of course, chicken broth and soup base-from my local Amish store.

I combine all with hot water. It helps to dissolve the soup base.

Mix it with the rice in the casserole dish, top with the chicken breast. I use a chicken seasoning mix that I picked up at the local grocery on the chicken. Any kind of seasoning can be used.

After it's baked, I like to slice the chicken breast. This one came off of a giant chicken. Wow, they sure do grow chickens big these days.

And there you have it. Rice, chicken, add a vegetable, and the meal is complete.
Is it ever good. I should say, was it ever good.
Happy Saturday

Chicken and Rice

2/3 C hot water
1 Tsp chicken broth and soup base powder
1 Tsp dried minced onion
1/2 Tsp garlic powder
1/4 Tsp ground thyme
1/4 Tsp ground marjoram
2/3 C instant brown rice
2 Tbsp chopped fresh carrot
2 Tbsp finely chopped celery
2 Tbsp frozen corn
2 Tbsp frozen peas
1 large skinless, boneless chicken breast


Preheat oven to 325°. Combine all ingredients except chicken breast. Place in 6 C casserole. Place chicken breast on top and season according to taste. Cover and bake 60 minutes, or until chicken is done. Remove chicken breast and slice. 2-3 servings, depending on size of chicken breast.

No comments:

Post a Comment