Saturday, February 28, 2015

From the Kitchen - Outside the Nest

Baked Potato Casserole

Here's a recipe for a side dish. I don't often do recipes for sides, because I usually only eat plain old vegetables on the side. But, sometimes I need to change it up a bit and add something new.

I start with the basics: onion powder, garlic powder, chicken broth and soup base, add a sprinkle of dried chives.

Add to water, heat it a bit. Heating releases the flavors.

I stir in some fat-free sour cream,

the add a bit of corn starch. This will help thicken the sauce, so that every bite has a nice coating-yum, yum, yummy.


I had some small potatoes lurking in the shadows. Well ok, there was a shadow when I took the picture. I needed to use them or lose them, which is the reason I came up with the recipe to begin with.

I cut them up into bite sized pieces. Yes, I left the skins on. Adds flavor. There were gold ones, and red ones, and purple ones. And, they're still lurking in the shadows. I need to speak to my photographer.
 They all taste the same. I like variety.
I sprinkled with some low-fat shredded cheddar. All this low-fat and fat-free makes me believe that I'm eating healthy.
Humor me.

Mix in the sour-cream mixture, sprinkle on some bread crumbs(optional), stick the casserole in the oven, and let it bake.

A nice side to baked cod and a veggie.
It also went well with meatloaf.
And chicken.

Here's an up-close and personal look.
Can you smell it? Can you taste it?
You will, if you make it.
Is it ever good.
Happy Saturday

Baked Potato Casserole

1/4 C water
1 Tsp chicken broth and soup powder
1 Tsp salt
1/2 Tsp dried chives
1/8 Tsp garlic powder
1/8 Tsp onion powder
1/2 C reduced-fat or fat-free sour cream
1 Tsp corn starch
1/4 C reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
10-12 small potatoes
1 Tbsp bread crumbs-optional


Preheat oven to 325°. Spray 4 cup casserole with cooking spray, set aside. In glass measure, combine water, broth powder, salt, chives, garlic and onion powder. Heat in microwave 30 seconds. Add sour cream, stir until mixed. Add corn starch and stir to mix. Cut potatoes into bite-sized pieces and place in prepared casserole. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Pour sauce over and stir to coat potatoes. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Cover and bake 45 minutes, or until potatoes test done when poked with a fork. 3 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment