Saturday, January 24, 2015

From the Kitchen - Outside the Nest

Skillet Peach Crumble

Today I'm making dessert. In my cast iron skillet. In the oven. 
I'm also cleaning out my freezer. Lurking in one corner was a handful of sliced peaches. I wanted to make something, well, comforting.
You could say this is a comfort food recipe.

First, I start with the crust. I borrowed the crust from my Rhubarb Crunch recipe. You'll find that one in my Empty Nest Cookbook. 

Step 1. Brown sugar. As usual, I make mine by adding molasses to granulated sugar and mixing it up.

Step 2. Add the flour , cinnamon and rolled oats.

Step 3. Add melted butter. Why, yes I do use butter. It's the best for this crust.

Step 4. Place a pat of butter in the skillet, place in oven until it's all nice and melted.

Step 5. Add peaches and sugar.

Step 6.Top with crust and bake until golden.

Step 7. Find that lose piece of crumb topping and sample it, being very careful not to burn your mouth.

Step 8. When it's cooled for a bit, take a spoon and sample it. This is very important. Quality Control.

Step 9. Enjoy it while it's warm and the topping is crisp.

Hmm, the 6 inch skillet should have produced 4 servings. Perhaps the quality control got a little out of hand.
Regardless of how may servings you get,
is it ever good.
Happy Saturday

Skillet Peach Crumble

1-1/2 C sliced frozen peaches
2 Tbsp granulated sugar
1/4 C + 1 Tbsp butter, divided
1/2 C packed brown sugar
6 Tbsp old fashioned rolled oats
1/2 C all-purpose flour
1/2 Tsp ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350°. Thaw peaches, discard any juice. Cut into bite-sized pieces. Set aside. Melt 1/4 C butter in microwave safe cup. In separate bowl, combine melted butter, brown sugar, rolled oats, flour and cinnamon. Mix with fork until large crumbs form. Place 1 Tbsp butter in 6 inch cast iron skillet, set in oven until butter melts. Swirl to coat bottom of skillet. Add peaches and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Top with crumb mixture. Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown and peaches are bubbling, remove from oven, being very careful as skillet will be very hot. Serve warm. 4 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment