Saturday, December 6, 2014

From the Kitchen - Outside the Nest

Saltine Toffee


Cooking and baking during the holiday season means memories from years gone by. I often think about my mom, baking cookies and cooking candy; always going back to what we liked the best.
This isn't one of those recipes.
The first time I had this was at Aunt Elfrieda's house. She was my mom's sister.
Aunt Elf could cook and bake with the best of them.
I'm probably the only person in the entire state who has never made this candy.
Until now.
So here goes.

4 ingredients, all basic in the kitchen.
Start by laying saltine crackers in a sheet pan lined with foil.
Yes, I made a small batch for myself.
It only lasted a few days. I have no shame.

Then I cooked the butter and brown sugar.
 This recipe can go bad in a blink, so be very careful.

Pour it over the crackers,
and bake it. No, it isn't burned. There are just craters among the hills of bubbles of caramel.

Sprinkle on the chocolate chips,

spread, chill, enjoy.

I've never attempted to make real English toffee, but I'll certainly make this again. So easy. I even added some slivered almonds on one end, and some chopped peanuts on the other.

Thin, crisp, salty, buttery,caramelly goodness to the utmost.

If you dare, make a tin of it to share. I didn't dare.
I ate it all myself.
Was it ever good.
Happy Saturday.

Saltine Toffee

40 saltine crackers
1 C butter
1 C light brown sugar
1 C semi-sweet chocolate baking  chips
Slivered almonds or chopped nuts, optional


Preheat oven to 400°. Line cookie sheet with aluminum foil.  Combine brown sugar and butter in saucepan, heat until butter is melted and mixture is boiling. Watch carefully to avoid burning. Boil 5 minutes, do not stir. Remove from heat and pour mixture over top of crackers. Bake 2-4 minutes, or just until bubbling. Watch carefully again to avoid burning. Remove from oven and sprinkle with chocolate baking chips. Wait a couple of minutes, then spread melted chocolate. Sprinkle with nuts if desired. Place pan in refrigerator 1-2 hours, so that chocolate firms up. Break into pieces and store in a covered container in a cool place, or in the refrigerator. 

No comments:

Post a Comment