Saturday, November 29, 2014

From the Kitchen - Outside the Nest

Parmesan Chicken Bake

I am about to prove that you can teach an old dog new tricks.
Last week I shared a recipe using butternut squash.

This week I'm sharing a recipe using a dinosaur egg.
Ok, not really. This is a spaghetti squash.
I've never tried one before, because I always felt that all squash tasted the same.
I was wrong. Yes, I'll admit it.

I whacked it in half and scooped out the stuff.

Then I flipped the halves over and baked them.

At the same time, I sprinkled some seasoning on a skinless, boneless chicken breast, and baked it as well.

While the chicken finished baking, I pulled apart the strands of spaghetti. 

Then the magic began. I used my favorite chicken soup base, 

added onion and garlic powders, and stirred them into some water. After heating it a tad,

I added sour cream.
Low fat sour cream.
Are you still with me?

Shaved Parmesan cheese. Ooo, la la.

I chopped the chicken into bite size pieces,

added it to the spaghetti, poured on the sauce.
Heat and serve.

It doesn't taste like squash.
It tastes like more, much, much more.
And it's healthy.
Leftovers taste good as well.
This doggy likes.

So you see, you can teach an old dog new tricks.
At least you can teach this Chickadee to try new food.
Give it a whirl.
Is it ever good.
Happy Saturday.

Parmesan Chicken Bake

1 skinless, boneless chicken breast
1/2 C + 2 Tbsp water, divided
1 small spaghetti squash
1/2 Tsp chicken broth and soup powdered base
1/2 Tsp onion powder
1/2 Tsp garlic powder
1/4 C reduced-fat sour cream
1/4 C shaved Parmesan cheese


Preheat oven to 350°. Spray small glass casserole with cooking spray, add 2 Tbsp water. Season chicken breast according to taste, place in casserole. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Place face down on parchment paper. Place squash and chicken in oven. Cook squash 45 minutes, remove from oven. Leave chicken in oven additional 15 minutes, or until done. Using a fork, pull strands of squash apart and place in a 6 cup casserole. Place 1/2 C water in glass measure, add broth and soup base, onion powder and garlic powder. Heat in microwave 20 seconds. Stir to dissolve, add sour cream and Parmesan Cheese. Remove chicken from oven and cut into bite-size pieces. Add chicken to squash, pour sauce over and stir. Heat in oven 20-30 minutes, until heated through and bubbling. 3 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment