Saturday, November 15, 2014

From the Kitchen - Outside the Nest

Gourmet Green Bean Casserole

This is not your momma's green bean casserole.
This is not your standard, run-of-the-mill green bean casserole.
There is no cream of anything soup in this casserole.

I start with green beans and corn. I am not a fan of green beans, by the way. But, I will gobble them all up using this recipe.
I'm making enough just for myself. The recipe that follows is family size.

I crisp up some nice center-cut bacon. I do it in the oven, since I'll be using the oven later. A frying pan works just as well.

I use chive and onion cream cheese spread, fat-free mayonnaise, a dab of butter, a sprinkle of garlic powder. I use a sprinkle of garlic powder in a lot of cooking. Garlic is good for the body. Or is it the soul?
Or something.
 Mix it together,

stir in the veggies, add the bacon,

top with French-fried onions.
Bake until heated through.

You don't need Thanksgiving turkey to with this dish. BBQ chicken works just as well. Or a pork chop. Or a steak. Maybe meatloaf. Or anything else you want.

It's a new twist on an old favorite, and,
Is it ever good.
Happy Saturday

Gourmet Green Bean Casserole

4 C frozen green beans
1 C frozen corn
4-6 slices center-cut bacon
4 Tsp butter, room temperature
4 oz. Chive and Onion cream cheese spread, room temperature
3 Tbsp fat-free mayonnaise
1 Tsp garlic powder
1 C French Fried Onions


Preheat oven to 400°. Place green beans and corn in a glass casserole, along with 2 Tbsp. water. Cover and cook in microwave on full power 4 minutes, drain and set aside. Place bacon in an oven-proof pan, bake 10 to 12 minutes, until crisp. Drain and crumble, set aside. Combine butter, cream cheese spread, mayonnaise and garlic powder. Stir in beans, corn and bacon. Place in greased casserole. Top with French Fried onions. Reduce oven to 325°. Cover casserole and bake 20-25 minutes, until heated through. 8 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment