Saturday, September 20, 2014

From the Kitchen - Empty Nest

Southwestern Chicken Soup
The weather the last couple of weeks prodded me to make soup.
Today's special, Southwestern Chicken Soup.

I start by rinsing black beans.
These are a good source of fiber.

Next I add some canned diced tomatoes  to my 6 cup crock pot.

Then the beans. The tomato and beans are about 1/2 of a can each. I freeze the other half for another time. You can add the full can of each, and double the remaining ingredients. Just use a larger crockpot.

Next I add the water,

and thenthe flavor: chicken soup base. I love this stuff.
The best kind to buy: go to the Amish grocery store.

Then some more flavor. This is southwest seasoning. It tastes like Taco seasoning.
I'm sharing my recipe for that as well.
Which means you're getting 2 for the price of 1.

Oh boy, oh boy, is this ever going to be good.
I add some frozen corn, dried cilantro, chopped bell peppers, as well.

Then the chicken breast. I use a skinless, boneless breast.
Put the cover on, turn it on, let it cook, and cook and cook.

Oh my, what a savory, flavorful, colorful, tastyful, tummyful soup.

I had to try it with a bread stick, homemade of course.
You know what?
Is it ever good.
Happy Saturday

Southwestern Chicken Soup
1 skinless, boneless chicken breast
1 C canned diced tomatoes with juice (about 1/2 of a can)
2-1/2 C water
4 Tsp chicken soup base
1 C corn
1 Tbsp chopped green or red bell pepper
1 C black beans, rinsed and drained (about 1/2 of a can)
2 Tbsp southwest seasoning
1 Tsp dried cilantro


Combine all ingredients in a 6 cup crockpot. Cook on low 4-6 hours, until chicken is done and can be shredded. Remove chicken, cut or shred into pieces, return to soup. 3 servings

Southwest Seasoning
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp paprika
1-1/2 Tsp ground coriander
1-1/2 Tsp reduced sodium salt
1-1/2 Tsp garlic powder
1-1/2 Tsp oregano
1 Tsp ground cumin
1/2 Tsp ground black pepper
 Pinch of crushed red pepper
Pinch of cayenne pepper

Mix together, store in tightly covered container. Use for taco seasoning or in Spanish rice

No comments:

Post a Comment