Saturday, July 5, 2014

From the Kitchen - Outside the Nest

Fruit N' Yogurt Pops
Here's a great little recipe that doesn't require an ice cream machine.
Kids and grandkids can get right in there and help.

You'll need to assemble the tools.
Paper cups: Check
Popsicle sticks: Check
 Hmm, funny looking popsicle sticks. Well ok, I wasn't prepared, so I had to improvise. It was either straws or plastic spoons.

The straws won out.
I cut them into shorter lengths.
 Hey, don't laugh. It worked!

Now for some fresh fruit. I wanted mixed berry, so I combined strawberries, raspberries, blueberries.
Other options: bananas, peaches, blackberries, or any combination thereof.

This is my new favorite thing. I add that to my blender,

along with some honey. 

The fruit is in the bottom.
I only have a smoothie blender, so I make small batches. I also had to mix it up with a spoon a little to get it to mix properly.
 Ok, give it a whirl.

Pour it in the cups, cover with foil, push a popsicle stick, um, I mean a straw, through a small hole that you've precut.
Freeze 3-4 hours for firm-frozen.  

Remove from freezer, peel off cup, enjoy.

And looky here. The foil makes a lovely little drip pan for those who eat slowly to avoid brain freeze.

If you freeze the pops longer than 3-4 hours, like overnight, you may want to let them thaw about 5-10 minutes. Otherwise you have to scrape off small amounts with your teeth.
Which helps to avoid brain freeze.
Anyway, these are good on a hot summer day,
on a hot summer night, or any day or night for that matter.
Are they ever good.
Happy Saturday, and may the chill be with you.

Fruit N’ Yogurt Pops

2 C fresh raspberries, blueberries and sliced strawberries
2 C vanilla greek yogurt
2 Tbsp honey
8 (4-ounce) paper cups
8 popsicle sticks
8 squares aluminum foil, large enough to cover cups


Combine fruit, yogurt and honey in blender, blend until fruit is chunky or fine, according to your preference. Divide mixture into cups, filling 3/4 full. Cut tiny hole in foil, cover each cup with a piece of foil, and poke popsicle stick through. Freeze 4-5 hours. Tear cup away from pop. If frozen longer, you may wish to let it thaw 5-10 minutes, as pops will become firm. 8 pops






No comments:

Post a Comment