Saturday, June 14, 2014

From The Kitchen - Outside the Nest

Strawberry Rhubarb Frozen Yogurt
Here's another great recipe using summer's abundance of fresh strawberries and rhubarb.
Rhubarb in frozen yogurt? You bet. It's so darn tasty.
And, I get to use one of my gizmos, aka the ice cream maker.

I start by combining Greek yogurt and Half-and-Half. I've also added vanilla and a pinch or so of salt.

Next comes the sugar,

give it a stir, pour it into the gizmo. Turn it on, let it mix and stir, about 15 minutes or so.

When the yogurt mixture begins to freeze and thicken, I add the fruit mixture.

Of course, there's always quality control. I need to make sure  that it is sweet enough.

My machine takes about 20 minutes total to produce a nice soft-serve treat. Can't you just about taste it?
Hah! I did. I bet you wish you were here when I mix a batch.

I scoop it into a container and let it freeze about 2-3 hours. Then I take it out, scoop it out, add a few fresh berries, eat it out (of the dish).
Is it ever  good.
May your summer be filled with tasty treats. 
Happy Saturday.

Strawberry Rhubarb Frozen Yogurt

2 C fresh strawberries
1/2 C fresh rhubarb
2 Tbsp granulated sugar

Combine all in small saucepan over medium heat. Cook 6-8 minutes, or until fruit is softened and begins to break down. Cool completely.

1-1/2 C low fat or fat-free plain Greek yogurt
1 C half-and-half
1/3 C granulated sugar
1 Tsp vanilla extract
1/8 Tsp salt


Freeze bowl of ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions. Combine all ingredients except strawberry mixture. Place in bowl and process about 15 minutes, or until mixture begins to freeze and take shape. Add strawberry/rhubarb mixture and continue to process until it forms a thick soft-serve consistency. Remove from bowl and place in a freezer container with a tight lid. Chill in freezer 1-3 hours. Serve with additional sliced fresh strawberries.  5-6 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment