Saturday, April 12, 2014

From the Kitchen - Outside the Nest

Spinach Feta Pizza
aka Veggie Pizza
This is a hot, healthy, good for your pizza, not to be confused with the crescent crust, ranch cream cheese type.


I start with a whole wheat prebaked pizza crust. I make mine in my bread machine, pat it out on a sheet pan, cut it into thirds, and bake about 7-8 minutes. Then I let it cool, wrap it up nicely, and freeze it, er, them. That way I can take out one at a time, make a pizza of my choice, and not have leftovers. Which explains the weird non-circular shape of my pizza crust.
So, start with a prebaked crust.


Next I chop those tasty veggies. Yes, that is fungus, aka chopped baby bellas, that you see lurking on the cutting board. I find that if I chop them and then hide them beneath the cheese, I can eat them.


I toss the chopped veggies in a skillet on top of the olive oil, and I add chopped garlic.


When the onion and peppers are tender, and the air is filled with delectable wafting smells, I chop some fresh spinach leaves,


and toss them in the skillet. A minute or two, and a quick stir or two, and the spinach begins to wilt. Time for assembling and baking.


I pile the veggies on the crust and add some crumbled feta.


Then I top it all with shredded mozzarella and a sprinkle of crushed dried basil.


Pop it in the oven until the cheese is melted and begins to brown.


Cut, eat, swoon in blissful splendor.
No sausage, no pepperoni, no tomato.
Just healthy veggies atop healthy crust.
Is it ever good. Even the mushrooms.
Happy Saturday

Spinach Feta Pizza

1 12-inch pizza crust, prebaked
Olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 small red onion, sliced and separated into rings
1 C sliced fresh mushrooms, chopped
2 C chopped fresh spinach
1 Tsp garlic powder
1 c (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 C crumbled feta cheese
1/2 Tsp dried basil

Preheat oven to 425°. Place baked crust on pizza pan. Add about 1 Tbsp olive oil to skillet, over medium heat. Add the garlic, pepper, onion and mushrooms. Saute 5 minutes, until tender, add chopped spinach, continue to heat about 1 minute, until spinach begins to wilt. Sprinkle crust with garlic powder, top with veggies. Sprinkle on feta, mozzarella, and basil, bake 10 minutes, or until cheeses are melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment