Saturday, April 5, 2014

From the Kitchen - Outside The Nest

Cashew Chicken


These are my favorite nuts. Well, besides the nuts in my family. They're my all-time faves.
So, I had this bag in my cupboard, and just the thought of the crunchy goodness waiting inside lured me to sneak a few every now and then.
Which is why I needed to make this recipe, before they were all gone.


I start with chopping the celery and onion, using a very fancy knife. I find that a serrated steak knife works wonders on chopping veggies. I add celery and onion to the recipe because I like a little crunch besides the cashews.
Actually, I started with making the rice. Here's my fool-proof recipe for fluffy instant rice.
Measure rice and water into a casserole. Add soup/broth base, such as chicken, beef, or vegetable, according to your preference. Cover and bake in 350 degree oven 25-30 minutes, until water is absorbed and rice is fluffy. Done. Easy. Tasty. While that's baking, commence to cooking the following.


Stir-fry the onion and celery in a bit of oil, and then
add the chicken, continue to stir-fry until chicken is done.


Pour on the sauce. This sauce is rich, and ever, ever so very tasty. No need for salt, unless you use the low-sodium soy sauce.


Cover, turn the heat down, let it cook a bit.


Uncover, add the cashews, heat a bit more.


Put the rice on the plate, right next  to your favorite vegetable. Top with the chicken mixture.


You can almost smell the savory aroma, wafting from the plate.
Is it ever good.
Happy Saturday, and may all of your cooking be a delight.

Cashew Chicken

1 skinless, boneless chicken breast
1 skinless, boneless chicken thigh
1 stalk celery, chopped into ¼ inch slices
1/4 C chopped onion
1 Tbsp canola Oil
1/4 C soy sauce
2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 Tbsp ketchup
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 Tsp minced garlic
1/2 Tsp ground ginger
1/8 Tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 C cashews


Heat oil in skillet on medium-high heat, add onion and celery, stir-fry 4-5 minutes, or until tender. Push aside and add chicken. Stir-fry chicken until cooked through and no longer pink inside, about 5 minutes . Combine remaining ingredients except cashews, pour over chicken. Turn temperature down to medium low, cover and simmer 10 minutes. Add cashews, simmer uncovered additional 5 minutes. Serve over rice. 2-3 servings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment