Saturday, February 1, 2014

From the Kitchen

Roasting Vegetables

They say that when you cook/boil vegetables in water, and throw out the water, you are throwing out the nutrients. If you steam your vegetables, you are retaining the nutrients. But, you need a steamer for that.
I've gotten into the latest trend, which is roasting vegetables.


It started with fresh brussels. I am trying to broaden my horizons, as in eating vegetables that I didn't like.
I know, last week mushrooms, this week brussels. What is this world coming to?
So, I tried preparing them a number of different ways, but couldn't find the right method. Yuk, blah, boring, who eats these things, anyway?

That's when I got my aha! moment.
I have those sometimes.


I pulled out the olive oil, garlic powder, salt. I use full strength salt for this, rather than the reduced-sodium kind.


I poured and sprinkled, then threw in the brussels and gave them a toss.
And then I roasted them.
Were they ever good.


And then it hit me.
The next aha! moment. Kinda scary.
Why not add some others, like carrots and fingerling potatoes? (Yes, those dark little blobs are potatoes. Interesting blue/purple potatoes.)
After all, some of the seasoned oil mixture still coated the bowl. Surely, they would be just as tasty. And so, I commenced to dabbling with other possibilities. And I popped them in the oven, and roasted and toasted.


Mighty tasty. Don't mind those dark spots and cheeks, that just adds to the flavor. They perked up that leftover beef roast that lurked in my refrigerator.

 Roasting is my new technique for veggies. I've also roasted cauliflower. That's another recipe for another time. Oh, and by the way, no butter required.

The final verdict?
Was it ever good. If it wasn't, I wouldn't be sharing with you.
Happy Saturday

Roasted Vegetables

Olive Oil
Garlic powder, to taste
Salt, to taste
Brussel Sprouts, mini carrots, fingerling potatoes

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Trim stem end of brussel sprouts. Combine Olive oil, garlic powder and salt in bowl. Add sprouts, toss until coated. Place on baking sheet and bake 10 minutes. Meanwhile, pierce potatoes with fork, toss carrots and potatoes in bowl, coating with seasoned oil that remains. Remove brussel sprouts from oven after 10 minutes, add carrots and potatoes, return to oven and roast additional 15 minutes.
The amount of oil, garlic powder and salt will depend on the amount of veggies that are being prepared. For a single serving, use about 1 Tbsp. oil, 1/2-1 Tsp garlic powder, and 1/2 Tsp. salt.



No comments:

Post a Comment