Saturday, January 25, 2014

From The Kitchen-Outside The Nest

Comfort Food
A friend and I discussed comfort food recently. I had made a recipe that reminded me of my childhood, giving me that warm, fuzzy feeling.
Today's cooking lesson gives that same feeling, even though this is not a food from my childhood.
We're talking Cube Steak. Plain, old, ordinary, inexpensive, Cube Steak. Well, ok, the old part shouldn't be in there. You should use new cube steak.


Let's start with the prep work.
One side note. For anyone who is a relative or close friend of mine, you have heard me say time and again, 'I do not eat fungus!'
I'm making an exception here. Diced baby bella mushrooms, sweet vidalia onion, roughly chopped.
Food fact: Baby Bella's contain potassium, B Vitamins, dietary fiber, anti-oxidants. One study shows that they reduce breast-cancer cells.
Bring on the Baby Bellas.


Dredge the meat in the flour mixture,


Brown it in olive oil. Olive oil is good for you, as in healthy.



Add the water, seasonings, vegies, 


throw a cover on it, let it simmer 2 hours. This is not a quick "prepare and sit down to eat in 30 minutes" recipe. Nosiree Bob, this is one of those  that you walk away from and let the flavors meld slowly. The house smells yummy.


And there you have it. Cube Steak 101. How easy is that?  Little fuss, little prep, not a lot of dishes to wash. Oh, and great flavor. No, I did not pick off the mushrooms. I ate every tiny morsel.


Was it ever good.
Happy Saturday

Cube Steak

2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 Tsp salt
1/4 Tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 (2 ounce) cube steaks
Water
1/2 C rough chopped Vidalia onion
1/4 C chopped fresh Baby Bella mushrooms
1 Tsp beef soup base powder
1/4 Tsp chopped garlic


Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Combine flour, salt and pepper on a plate. Dredge cube steaks in flour mixture, coating both sides. Brown in oil 3-4 minutes on each side. Pour enough water in skillet to almost cover the steaks, about 1 cup. Add remaining ingredients in the water, cover and simmer 2 hours. 2 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment