Saturday, January 18, 2014

From the Kitchen-Empty Nest

Chunky Bean and Chicken Chili

It's that time of year again. 
I mean, last week 35 below zero.
This week, snow 4 days in a row.
Next week, who knows.
Here's a recipe that will thaw those icicles.
I'm taking this one from my Empty Nest Cookbook.
Which is why it's listed that way in the Post Title.
Did you know that if it say's Outside The Nest, then it will appear in my next cookbook? Just a little fun fact for my readers.


This one is so easy to make, and so tasty.
I start with the usual soup base powder, some mild green chiles, and cannellini beans(aka white kidney beans).


I put it all in my crockpot, add some water and a skinless, boneless chicken breast.
And I let it cook awhile.


Then I pluck the chicken out and shred it into nice bite-size pieces. I slide it back into the soup to keep it nice and hot.


I cut up several slices (3 to be exact) of Pepper-Jack Cheese, and crumble a handful(15 to be exact) of tortilla chips. I toss it all in the pot with the soup and let it cook and heat and melt.


The peppers in the cheese add a bit of a bite. The melted cheese adds a nice velvety softness.
The chips give it a boost of extra flavor.


 I serve it in a fiesta bowl. It tastes even better that way.
Is it ever good.
Happy Saturday

Chunky Bean and Chicken Chili

2 C water
2 Tsp chicken soup base
1 skinless, boneless chicken breast
1 (4.5-oz.) can diced green chilis, drained
1 (19-oz.) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
3 slices pepper jack cheese
15 plain tortilla chips, crushed


In 6 cup crockpot, heat water and soup base on high for 1 hour. Add chicken, chilis and beans, cook 3-4 hours, or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken, cut into bite size pieces, return to crockpot. Add cheese slices, stir and heat until melted and blended. Stir in crushed chips. 2-3 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment