Saturday, October 4, 2014

From the Kitchen-Outside the Nest

Coconut Krispies
A long time ago, in a far-off land, which was the house that I resided in prior to the house I am currently residing in, I had a recipe kinda like this one. The original recipe used butter-flavored oil.
I lost the recipe. Probably because when I moved to this current home, I down-sized my cookbook collection.
The only thing that I could do was try to recreate the recipe all on my own.
After numerous tries, I have something quite similar.

I start with brown sugar. I make my own by squiggling molasses into granulated sugar and mixing it with a fork. No more hard, lumpy brown sugar hiding in the cupboard.
 I add the plain granulated sugar after the brown is mixed.

Then the oil. I use olive oil. Yes, that's right. Olive oil. Vegetable or canola oil can be used as well.

Mix it together, add the egg.

Measure the vanilla very carefully by tipping the bottle up and adding a dollop. Or, you can follow the recipe and measure it out exactly.

The leavening is next,

then the butter sprinkles(which I get from the local Amish store),

along with the flour, coconut, krispies, and chocolate chips. (sorry, I didn't take the picture sideways. It uploaded that way).
 Mix. Taste. 
You gotta taste the cookie dough.
I think that's a law or something.
I haven't died yet from eating raw cookie dough.

Put 'em on the pan, slip them in the oven.

You're gonna wanna bake them until they have nice golden-brown cheeks.
And there you have it.
Try them, you'll like them.
Are they ever good.
Happy Saturday

Coconut Krispies

1/2 C Olive oil                                   
1/2 C brown sugar                   
1/2 C granulated sugar                     
1/4 C liquid egg product or 1 egg     
1 Tsp vanilla extract                          
1/2 Tsp salt                             
1 Tsp baking soda                   
1 Tsp cream of tartar                         
8 Tsp butter sprinkles                        
1-1/4 C +2 Tbsp all-purpose flour               
1/2 C flaked coconut                         
1/2 C krispy rice cereal                      
1/4 C mini chocolate baking chips
           

Preheat oven to 375°. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Combine oil, sugars, egg and vanilla, mix well. Add salt, baking soda, cream of tartar, butter sprinkles and flour, mix well. Add coconut, cereal and chocolate chips, stir until mixed. Use cookie scoop, drop dough on baking pans, press flat slightly. Bake 9-10 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove from oven, and cool on baking sheet on rack. 2 dozen

No comments:

Post a Comment