Saturday, March 15, 2014

From the Kitchen - Outside the Nest

Comfort Food 101
Crock Pot Rice Pudding

It's been a difficult week, filled with sad and distressing news.
Since I don't have Mom around to offer comfort, I turned to a recipe that reminds me of her.
She would cook plain rice with milk and sugar, put it into a large bowl, sprinkle the top with cinnamon, and set it on the table. It wasn't considered a dessert, but rather part of a main dish, usually for Saturday lunch.
In  the summer, when fresh fruit was available, she would cook the rice with water, stir in some fresh whipped cream, mini marshmallows, and either fresh raspberries or peaches.
That was a salad/dessert.
I've managed to come up with a recipe that's a cross between the two.


I don't use the whipping cream, but I do want it a bit richer than plain milk. My solution: Fat Free Half & Half. It's nice and creamy, and thick, and yummy.


I simply pour it into my small crock pot, add a pat a butter, 


the sugar, 


rice,


 a pinch of salt(great measuring technique, by the way), 


and that dribble of vanilla.
The vanilla makes the dish.


I cook it for about 1-1/2 to 2 hours, until it's thick.
Then I dish it up, and sprinkle on a touch of cinnamon.
It's creamy, it's rich, it's tasty, it's . . . 
Well,. . . is it ever good. 
And comforting.
Happy Saturday.

Crock Pot Rice Pudding

3 C fat-free Half & Half
6 Tbsp long grain rice
6 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 Tbsp butter
Pinch of salt
1/4 Tsp vanilla


Combine all ingredients in 1-1/2 Qt. crockpot. Cover and cook on high 1 hour. Stir, and continue cooking until thick, stirring every 15 minutes. Turn off, and remove cover. Spoon into serving bowls and let cool. Sprinkle with cinnamon. 5-6 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment